News & Announcements
- Taylor Fields has been invited and accepted membership in the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA). The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society. The Litigation Counsel of America is composed of less than one-half of one percent of American Lawyers. Fellowship in the LCA is highly selective and by invitation only. Fellows are selected based upon effectiveness and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial level and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation.
- 9/3/14 The NAMWOLF Board recently elected Carla Fields Johnson, from Fields & Brown (Kansas City), as one of two Vice Chairs of NAMWOLF. Read the full story here.
- Fields & Brown recently recovered $2.2 Million dollars on behalf of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) as a result of the settlement of directors and officers’ liability litigation filed in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. The FDIC alleged that because of the negligence and breach of fiduciary duty of certain directors and officers, a failed bank incurred significant losses for imprudent loans. Specifically, the FIDC alleged the defendants abdicated their responsibility by repeatedly disregarding the bank’s loan policies, as well as safe and sound banking practices that resulted in the bank loaning millions of dollars to borrowers who had no adequate means to repay the loans in the event the proposed projects failed or underperformed, By their acts and omissions, the defendants knew or should have known the subject loans created an obvious risk of injury to the failed bank. Taylor Fields and J. David Bowers handled this matter for the firm.
- Fields & Brown successfully defended an appeal of Summary Judgment in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit in the matter of Kathy White v Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, Case No. 13-2166 (8th Cir. 2014). In the lawsuit, Ms. White alleged that the employer’s decision not to rehire her constituted retaliation, because of her use of leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Ms. White also alleged that the refusal to rehire her was a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, based on her claim that the employer made no effort to accommodate her disability. Shortly after the lawsuit was filed, Fields & Brown filed a Motion for Summary Judgment on behalf of the employer. The District Court ruled in favor of the employer and granted Summary Judgment. Ms. White appealed to the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. In summary, the Court Appeals ruled that Ms. White was not qualified for protection under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the employer offered valid justifications for its employment decision. Taylor Fields and J. David Bowers handled this matter for the firm.
- Fields & Brown is pleased to announce that Denise Fields has joined the firm. Her principal focus will be labor and employment as well as commercial litigation.
- February 2014 Carla Fields Johnson elected Treasurer of NAMWOLF. Ms. Johnson will serve as chairperson of the NAMWOLF Finance Committee. Ms. Johnson will continue to serve on the Executive Committee of the NAMWOLF board of directors.
- Taylor Fields has been designated a “Super Lawyer” in the area of employment law by Kansas City Magazine in its November issue every year since 2006.
- Charles Brown designated 2014 Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law.
- Carla Fields Johnson appointed to the Executive Committee of the NAMWOLF Board of Directors. The Executive Committee manages the day to day activities of NAMWOLF.
- Ms. Johnson recognized as Kansas City’s Top 40 under Forty in 2006 by Ingram’s, Kansas City’s Business Magazine.
September 21st – September 24th, 2014
Carla Fields Johnson and Taylor Fields
June 12th – 13th, 2014
Charles R. Brown
National Bar Association
July 26th – August 1st, 2014
Taylor Fields and Charles R Brown
ABA House of Delegates Meeting
American Bar Association
August 11th, 2014
Carla Fields Johnson