Taylor Fields is the founding member and the managing partner of Fields & Brown. Mr. Fields’ practice has been primarily in the areas of employment defense and labor relations. He has served as employment and labor counsel to the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority for more than 28 years. He also served in the same capacity for the Kansas City Missouri School District for more than 13 years and has defended employment claims for Fortune 500 companies. He has litigated numerous cases involving Title VII, Title IX, and Americans with Disabilities Act as well as under state employment discrimination laws. Mr. Fields also has extensive experience in commercial litigation. He has represented major governmental agencies and Fortune 100 companies in the defense of multi-million dollar class actions and complex multi-district litigation matters.
Taylor Fields is a member of the Missouri Bar and the State Bar of Michigan and is admitted to practice before federal district courts and courts of appeals, including the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the Missouri Council of School Attorneys and the Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association. He was President of the Jackson County Bar Association and held offices in the National Bar Association and Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association.
Taylor Fields’ civic participation includes appointment to and service on the Board of Directors for the Greater Kansas City Convention and Visitor’s Association, and service on the Board of Directors of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, the Salvation Army Bell Ringers, the YMCA, and Research Mental Health Center. He is Chairman of the Board of Directors of Black Archives of MidAmerica. He was elected to three terms on the Board of Education for Consolidated School District #4 in Jackson County, Missouri. He is founder of Harmony in Grandview, and served on the Board of Directors of Harmony of Greater Kansas City, which are organizations established to promote racial and ethnic harmony.
Awards and Recognition
The KCMBA selected Taylor Fields as a 2003 recipient of the prestigious Dean of the Trial Bar Award in recognition of his superb litigation skills and professional demeanor. Taylor Fields was designated a Super Lawyer in the area of employment law by Kansas City Magazine in its November issue every year since 2006. Mr. Fields was also the recipient of the 2010 Cora Walker Legacy Award from the National Bar Association and was inducted into the National Bar Association Hall of Fame.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City, J.D.
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.S.
- State of Missouri, 1971
- State of Michigan, 1972
- United States Supreme Court, 1999
- United States Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit
- Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court
- Western District of Missouri
- Eastern District of Missouri
- District of Kansas
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- State Bar of Michigan
- Missouri Council of School Attorneys
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Jackson County Bar Association
- Chairman of the Board of Directors, Black Archives of MidAmerica
- Board of Directors, Greater Kansas City Convention and Visitor’s Association
- Board of Directors, Southern Christian Leadership Conference
- Board of Education for Consolidated School District #4 Jackson County, Missouri
- Founder, Harmony in Grandview
- Board of Directors, Harmony of Greater Kansas City
- Board of Directors University of Missouri School of Law Alumni Association
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer 2006-2014, Employment Law
- Dean of Trial Bar Award
- Judge Lewis W. Clymer Award
- Cora Walker Legacy Award
- National Bar Association Hall of Fame
- Disparities in Local Government Contracts, State of Black Kansas City, Urban League of Greater Kansas City, 2002